Skip to main content

Road trip across USA - What, Why?

Long distance trips by car or train have always fascinated me. Experiencing new places and landscapes in quick succession is an adrenaline rush, overwhelming the senses. I've done many such wonderful trips, but they have all been less than two weeks long. I finally have an opportunity to do a trip that is much longer and intense. I can't wait to go for it!

The extensive road network in the US is perfect for a grand road trip across the vast country. It seems like the best way for me to experience the beautiful landscapes and meet people across all the states, through rural and urban America. To give the trip more purpose and challenge, I decided to do the trip in an electric car, cover all 48 states and hike over half a million steps.

I plan to head out on this adventure end of August 2022.

Goals for the trip:

  • Visit all 48 contiguous states in US.
  • Visit as many national parks as possible
  • Walk/hike a total of half a million steps in the trip
  • Meet friends and family en route
  • Do the trip in an EV (my Tesla Model 3)
  • Complete the whole trip in less than 2 months
  • Drive an average of around 300 miles per day
  • Spend more time in small towns instead of big cities 
  • Do the trip in good weather. Try to avoid snow, rain and heat.

Here's my planned itinerary that tries to encompass these goals and constraints:



Highlights of the Plan:

  • The route is a total of around 14,000 miles. I plan to go clockwise.
  • Touches all 48 states, some very briefly :-) Added 2 Canadian provinces as a bonus.
  • Visit 26 national parks, most of them for the first time. 
  • Walk an average of 11,000 steps each day to reach the goal of half-million steps
  • Adjusted route to include meetups with friends and family.
  • Mapped out charging locations. Seems OK except for a couple of places. 
  • Should take around 48 days for the whole route, averaging 290 miles per day. 
  • Focus on smaller towns, especially for night stays. 
  • Cover the northern states in September and the southern states early October. 

Relevant Links: 

Next: Planning for a long road trip in a Tesla (Aug 11, 2022)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota

A long drive from Bismarck, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota today. The drive was mostly on the I-94 interstate freeway, so it was very smooth, high speed limits and lots of Tesla superchargers along the way. The first three hours of the drive was through heavy rain, which was for the first time during the trip. It was nice to transition from the dry grasslands of North Dakota to the lush green trees and grasses in Minnesota, the land of 10000 lakes.  During the drive, I reflected a bit on all the different places I had been to over the past two weeks. I have enjoyed each day since it brought something different and unique. However, one thing is sure that my favorite days so far have been the ones in the big mountains of Mt. Rainier, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. The imposing mountain ranges, snow capped peaks, the lakes, the waterfalls, the rivers and creeks, the tall trees, the fresh air, all combine to create something magical. I can't get enough of it.  ...

Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park

  A long drive today from Spokane to the West Glacier KOA Resort, which is close to the Glacier National Park entrance. I had to slow down or stop many times during the drive due to road construction underway at multiple places. There was also a traffic jam to deal with at one place. Lastly, I had go past the most direct route for about 15 miles to get to a supercharger in Superior, MT and then retrace back.  I reached my destination for the day, a cute looking KOA log cabin in a beautiful KOA resort surrounded by mountains. The cabin has electricity, heater, refrigerator and a microwave. Not too shabby, changed my perception of what a KOA kampground is like.  The nearest supercharger from Glacier National Park is over 120 miles away. The primary reason I chose to book at KOA is because they provide access to a NEMA 14-50 220V charger. A timeslot for the single outlet they have needs to be  reserved ahead of time. I was very relieved when all of this worked and my...

Day 11: Wind Cave and Mt. Rushmore

  Today was a long drive from Estes Park near Rocky Mountain National park to Custer, South Dakota. On the way, my plan was to stop at Wind Cave National Park and do the guided cave tour. I checked online, but they stop issuing tickets 3 days prior to the actual date, which meant that on reaching the park, I would have to try for the few first-come first-served tickets. Since the tickets sell out about 2 hours before the tour start time, I started from the hotel early at 7am.  On the way, I took a 20 minute detour to drive through Nebraska for a few minutes. It is the first one of the states I have covered so far that I am only touching, just so I can claim I visited all 48 states. I finally reached the Wind Cave National Park at 1:45pm and got into the line for the cave tours. As luck would have it, they sold the last ticket of the day to the person just ahead of me in the line.   Who do I blame for this? My bad planning for not having bought the tickets more than 3 da...