Skip to main content

Day 13: Prairie grasslands of the Dakotas

 A long drive today from Spearfish, South Dakota to Bismarck, North Dakota. Most of the drive was through undivided state highways surrounded by prairie grasslands. This little church on the prairie looked interesting and is emblematic of the scenery around me.

There were many fields full of sunflowers that looked pretty and captured my attention.

 

 

The highlight destination for today was Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. There are no Tesla superchargers around it, so I had to take a 50 mile detour to get a full charge before going to the park. Finally reached there late afternoon, very tired, so the first thing I did was park my car at a vista point and took a 1/2 hour nap. 

The park is interesting, but not outstanding. It is similar to the Badlands National Park, but not as majestic, and with more greenery. It is an appropriate tribute to name a national park after Roosevelt, who led the way in creating lots of national parks.  I did get to see many bison and prairie dogs in the wild.

 



After spending a few hours at the park, it was a long drive to my AirBnb in Bismarck. Very nice house in a peaceful neighborhood with super friendly host.  I lost an extra hour because of the timezone change in the middle of North Dakota that I had not accounted for.

The raw numbers for the day:

  • 428 miles driving, 4900 steps walking
  • 3 Tesla supercharger stops
  • 2 states - South Dakota, North Dakota

 Next:  Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota (Sept 17, 2022)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota

A long drive from Bismarck, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota today. The drive was mostly on the I-94 interstate freeway, so it was very smooth, high speed limits and lots of Tesla superchargers along the way. The first three hours of the drive was through heavy rain, which was for the first time during the trip. It was nice to transition from the dry grasslands of North Dakota to the lush green trees and grasses in Minnesota, the land of 10000 lakes.  During the drive, I reflected a bit on all the different places I had been to over the past two weeks. I have enjoyed each day since it brought something different and unique. However, one thing is sure that my favorite days so far have been the ones in the big mountains of Mt. Rainier, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. The imposing mountain ranges, snow capped peaks, the lakes, the waterfalls, the rivers and creeks, the tall trees, the fresh air, all combine to create something magical. I can't get enough of it.  ...

Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park

  A long drive today from Spokane to the West Glacier KOA Resort, which is close to the Glacier National Park entrance. I had to slow down or stop many times during the drive due to road construction underway at multiple places. There was also a traffic jam to deal with at one place. Lastly, I had go past the most direct route for about 15 miles to get to a supercharger in Superior, MT and then retrace back.  I reached my destination for the day, a cute looking KOA log cabin in a beautiful KOA resort surrounded by mountains. The cabin has electricity, heater, refrigerator and a microwave. Not too shabby, changed my perception of what a KOA kampground is like.  The nearest supercharger from Glacier National Park is over 120 miles away. The primary reason I chose to book at KOA is because they provide access to a NEMA 14-50 220V charger. A timeslot for the single outlet they have needs to be  reserved ahead of time. I was very relieved when all of this worked and my...

Day 11: Wind Cave and Mt. Rushmore

  Today was a long drive from Estes Park near Rocky Mountain National park to Custer, South Dakota. On the way, my plan was to stop at Wind Cave National Park and do the guided cave tour. I checked online, but they stop issuing tickets 3 days prior to the actual date, which meant that on reaching the park, I would have to try for the few first-come first-served tickets. Since the tickets sell out about 2 hours before the tour start time, I started from the hotel early at 7am.  On the way, I took a 20 minute detour to drive through Nebraska for a few minutes. It is the first one of the states I have covered so far that I am only touching, just so I can claim I visited all 48 states. I finally reached the Wind Cave National Park at 1:45pm and got into the line for the cave tours. As luck would have it, they sold the last ticket of the day to the person just ahead of me in the line.   Who do I blame for this? My bad planning for not having bought the tickets more than 3 da...