Skip to main content

Day 7: Long drive from Glacier to Yellowstone

 Today was mostly a driving day, getting from West Glacier, Montana to Island Park, Idaho which is just outside Yellowstone park. Drove over 400 miles today.  Managed to reach my mountain lodge (converted to a hostel) around 6pm. It is in a remote location, surrounded by forests. Took a short evening walk before laundry and dinner. Had a pleasant conversation with 2 guys from Canada who are exploring Yellowstone for a few days. 

 



I've completed 7 days of the road trip today. covering over 2200 miles across 5 states. I've stayed at AirBnbs (farmhouse, house, townhouse), Hotel, KOA cabin and a hostel. Varied accomodations, but mostly good. I've done a fair bit of walking/hiking, averaging 11,800 steps each day for the week. This is in line with my goal of half-million steps during the road trip.  

The raw numbers for the day:

  • 409 miles driving, 7000 steps walking
  • 2 Tesla supercharger stops, 1 110V trickle charging overnight at hostel
  • 2 states - Montana, Idaho

Next:  Day 8: Yellowstone and Grand Tetons (Sept 11, 2022)

Comments

  1. Out of all the various accommodations you've tried, do you have any favorites? (Whether a favorite type or a particular site?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota

A long drive from Bismarck, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota today. The drive was mostly on the I-94 interstate freeway, so it was very smooth, high speed limits and lots of Tesla superchargers along the way. The first three hours of the drive was through heavy rain, which was for the first time during the trip. It was nice to transition from the dry grasslands of North Dakota to the lush green trees and grasses in Minnesota, the land of 10000 lakes.  During the drive, I reflected a bit on all the different places I had been to over the past two weeks. I have enjoyed each day since it brought something different and unique. However, one thing is sure that my favorite days so far have been the ones in the big mountains of Mt. Rainier, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. The imposing mountain ranges, snow capped peaks, the lakes, the waterfalls, the rivers and creeks, the tall trees, the fresh air, all combine to create something magical. I can't get enough of it.  ...

Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park

  A long drive today from Spokane to the West Glacier KOA Resort, which is close to the Glacier National Park entrance. I had to slow down or stop many times during the drive due to road construction underway at multiple places. There was also a traffic jam to deal with at one place. Lastly, I had go past the most direct route for about 15 miles to get to a supercharger in Superior, MT and then retrace back.  I reached my destination for the day, a cute looking KOA log cabin in a beautiful KOA resort surrounded by mountains. The cabin has electricity, heater, refrigerator and a microwave. Not too shabby, changed my perception of what a KOA kampground is like.  The nearest supercharger from Glacier National Park is over 120 miles away. The primary reason I chose to book at KOA is because they provide access to a NEMA 14-50 220V charger. A timeslot for the single outlet they have needs to be  reserved ahead of time. I was very relieved when all of this worked and my...

Day 9: Long drive in high desert

  Today was a long driving day through the desolate, high desert regions of Wyoming and Colorado. The elevation was above 6500 feet most of the time. There were a few sections with lush pine tree forests, but for the most part it was flat, very dry and full of small shrubs. No interstate freeways today, all undivided state and local highways. The biggest town I drove through was Steamboat Springs, a popular skiing destination.    The only crop in this region seems to be hay for feeding the livestock.  It is harvested and packed into these cylindrical rolls for storage and transportation. Saw these rolls in several places along the way, either piled up or just scattered in the fields.       Fortunately, charging the car was not an issue driving through this remote area. I started with a full charge, thanks to an overnight NEMA 14-50 charger at the motel. Being able to charge overnight is a big benefit for EV owners and I wish more hotels would provide t...