Skip to main content

Day 9: Long drive in high desert

 Today was a long driving day through the desolate, high desert regions of Wyoming and Colorado. The elevation was above 6500 feet most of the time. There were a few sections with lush pine tree forests, but for the most part it was flat, very dry and full of small shrubs. No interstate freeways today, all undivided state and local highways. The biggest town I drove through was Steamboat Springs, a popular skiing destination. 


 

The only crop in this region seems to be hay for feeding the livestock.  It is harvested and packed into these cylindrical rolls for storage and transportation. Saw these rolls in several places along the way, either piled up or just scattered in the fields.

 

 

 

Fortunately, charging the car was not an issue driving through this remote area. I started with a full charge, thanks to an overnight NEMA 14-50 charger at the motel. Being able to charge overnight is a big benefit for EV owners and I wish more hotels would provide this. I was able to get it for 4 nights so far. I am also surprised that this benefit is provided free. 

I was surprised to find 3 Tesla superchargers available along the way. The drive from the supercharger in Rock Springs, WY to the one in Craig, CO was interesting to say the least. The route suggested by the Tesla navigation was different from the one suggested by Google Maps on my phone. Since the Google route was shorter, I decided to follow that. Big mistake! As soon as the nice highway with 70 mph speed limit crossed from Wyoming to Colorado, it turned into a gravel road that I had to nervously and slowly go through for 20+ miles. 

As a consolation, I got to see these bright yellow flowers on both sides of the road!

For the long drive today, I listened to my Spotify playlist of new hindi songs released after the year 2000. These create a different mood compared to the older hindi songs. They have more energy, faster pace, more upbeat, more shrill. I almost feel like driving faster just listening to these songs. My playlist of older hindi songs leaves me more calm and relaxed, at peace and more able to enjoy the surroundings.

The raw numbers for the day:

  • 360 miles driving, 3800 steps walking
  • 3 Tesla supercharger stops
  • 2 states - Wyoming, Colorado

Comments

  1. Sridhar KrishnamurthySeptember 13, 2022 at 8:07 PM

    This seems like a real drawback with Google maps to not filer out dirt roads; not everyone owns a Rivian.
    Waze has the ability to disable gravel/dirt roads using their advanced settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun following your EV explorations!! Solo roadtrips can be quite meditative I imagine, but personally I'm not so sure if I could handle it 😊 Googlemaps has sent me on way too many unexpected, unpleasant, and unwanted parts on my road travels. Seems like the frequency seems to have gone up after I cancelled my GoogleOne subscription 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghar ki Mooli Daal Baraabar! Switch to Apple Maps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, that would cause so much anxiety! I'm glad you made it through, and that you took some joy from being made to stop and smell the flowers on the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that the new playlist uplifted the mood! Haven’t caught up in a few days so enjoying reading- it’s like Netflix binge 😃

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kashmir Great Lakes Trek, 2024

Kashmir Great Lakes Trek (KGL) has been on my bucket list for many years. It is known as the most beautiful trek in India, definitely one of the most popular. After lots of research and prep work, finally did the trek from July 29 - August 4 this year, along with four of my hiking buddies from the Bay Area. It was a dream come true - spectacular hiking with wonderful friends! The trailhead for the KGL trek is near Sonmarg. We carried only small daypacks during the 7-day trek. All supplies and luggage are carried by mules/horses. We had a support staff of 6 (guides, cook, etc.) for our private group of 5 hikers. Under overcast skies and the fog rolling in, we hiked past these shepherd huts at 9000 ft. These huts are used only in the summer months by the Kashmiri Gujjars (gypsies). A few hours into the hiking on the first day, we had a heavy downpour and the raingear came out. The locals were happy to see the first decent rainfall after a dry spell of 2 months. An auspicious start to our

USA48 Road Trip: The Whole Story

  The whole story of my road trip across USA in a Tesla, captured in a series of blog posts below. My six-week adventure was from Sept 4, 2022 to Oct 15, 2022.  The links to the blog posts below are in chronological order. Best viewed on a larger screen  of a computer, not on a phone. Click on the photographs in the blog posts to see larger images.   Road trip across USA - Why? What? (July 10, 2022) Road trip in a Tesla - will it work? (Aug 11, 2022)  Day -2: Road Trip Delayed (Aug 27, 2022)  Day 0: Starting Road Trip Tomorrow (Sept 3, 2022)  Day 1: The Adventure Begins (Sept 4, 2022)   Day 2: A drive through Oregon (Sept 5, 2022) Day 3: Mount Rainier National Park (Sept 6, 2022)   Day 4: Reminiscing in Seattle (Sept 7, 2022) Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park (Sept 8, 2022) Day 6: Hiking galore in Glacier National Park (Sept 9, 2022) Day 7: Drive from Glacier to Yellowstone (Sept 10, 2022)  Day 8: Yellowstone and Grand Teton (Sept 11, 2022) Day 9: Long drive in high

Road trip across USA - What, Why?

Long distance trips by car or train have always fascinated me. Experiencing new places and landscapes in quick succession is an adrenaline rush, overwhelming the senses. I've done many such wonderful trips, but they have all been less than two weeks long. I finally have an opportunity to do a trip that is much longer and intense. I can't wait to go for it! The extensive road network in the US is perfect for a grand road trip across the vast country. It seems like the best way for me to experience the beautiful landscapes and meet people across all the states, through rural and urban America. To give the trip more purpose and challenge, I decided to do the trip in an electric car, cover all 48 states and hike over half a million steps. I plan to head out on this adventure end of August, 2022. Goals for the trip: Visit all 48 contiguous states in US. Visit as many national parks as possible Walk/hike a total of half a million steps in the trip Meet friends and family en route D