Skip to main content

Day 25: Washington DC

A relatively short drive today from Allentown to Washington DC. The break from long drives daily was welcome and much needed. The destination today was my nephew's house in central Washington DC. 

Washington DC is not one of the 48 states I am covering in this road trip. It is a district, created in the constitution as the seat of the US government. Its odd status is captured well in the tagline on their license plates - "Taxation Without Representation". 

Driving through the eastern states, a big difference compared to California is the widespread usage of tolls on the freeways. Most places have done away with the toll booths and now use electronic tolling like E-ZPass. I don't have one, so I have been driving through without paying. I am supposed to get a bill in the mail to pay the tolls from the various states I have gone through. Remains to be seen if this will all work out cleanly. 

I reached my nephew's house late afternoon. It is in central DC, surrounded by bustling streets,  restaurants, nightlife and of course, traffic. I loved the energy and excitement, which is a big contrast to the sedate, suburban living in large houses with big backyards. 

We walked around some of the neighborhoods on our way to dinner at a Malaysian restaurant. The food was delicious, but very spicy.  We continued our walk through other city streets and made our way to a Comedy Club. It had a long line of amateurs, trying to engage the audience during their brief 5 minutes on the stage. A lot of the jokes fell flat and I couldn't help wonder - this is a much harder job than software development.

 

Tired after our long walks through the city streets, we took an Uber back to his home and retired for the night. It was wonderful meeting, chatting and catching up with my nephew and experiencing Washington DC in a new, non-tourist way.

The raw numbers for the day:

  • 190 miles driving, 6600 steps walking
  • 1 Tesla supercharger stop
  • 3 states - Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington DC

 Next:  Day 26: Shenandoah National Park (Sept 29, 2022)

Comments

  1. Hey, hey. There is lot of comedy in engineering as well. Do a google search for "recursion". It says "Did you mean: recursion "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Seems like a uniquely low-key and enjoyable day. I remember being impressed by the variety of cuisines available in DC when I interviewed there. I ate a lot of Ethiopian food. :)
    (Also I like how you added in DC but kept it italicized & didn't count it; nice stylistic choice.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota

A long drive from Bismarck, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota today. The drive was mostly on the I-94 interstate freeway, so it was very smooth, high speed limits and lots of Tesla superchargers along the way. The first three hours of the drive was through heavy rain, which was for the first time during the trip. It was nice to transition from the dry grasslands of North Dakota to the lush green trees and grasses in Minnesota, the land of 10000 lakes.  During the drive, I reflected a bit on all the different places I had been to over the past two weeks. I have enjoyed each day since it brought something different and unique. However, one thing is sure that my favorite days so far have been the ones in the big mountains of Mt. Rainier, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. The imposing mountain ranges, snow capped peaks, the lakes, the waterfalls, the rivers and creeks, the tall trees, the fresh air, all combine to create something magical. I can't get enough of it.  ...

Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park

  A long drive today from Spokane to the West Glacier KOA Resort, which is close to the Glacier National Park entrance. I had to slow down or stop many times during the drive due to road construction underway at multiple places. There was also a traffic jam to deal with at one place. Lastly, I had go past the most direct route for about 15 miles to get to a supercharger in Superior, MT and then retrace back.  I reached my destination for the day, a cute looking KOA log cabin in a beautiful KOA resort surrounded by mountains. The cabin has electricity, heater, refrigerator and a microwave. Not too shabby, changed my perception of what a KOA kampground is like.  The nearest supercharger from Glacier National Park is over 120 miles away. The primary reason I chose to book at KOA is because they provide access to a NEMA 14-50 220V charger. A timeslot for the single outlet they have needs to be  reserved ahead of time. I was very relieved when all of this worked and my...

Day 11: Wind Cave and Mt. Rushmore

  Today was a long drive from Estes Park near Rocky Mountain National park to Custer, South Dakota. On the way, my plan was to stop at Wind Cave National Park and do the guided cave tour. I checked online, but they stop issuing tickets 3 days prior to the actual date, which meant that on reaching the park, I would have to try for the few first-come first-served tickets. Since the tickets sell out about 2 hours before the tour start time, I started from the hotel early at 7am.  On the way, I took a 20 minute detour to drive through Nebraska for a few minutes. It is the first one of the states I have covered so far that I am only touching, just so I can claim I visited all 48 states. I finally reached the Wind Cave National Park at 1:45pm and got into the line for the cave tours. As luck would have it, they sold the last ticket of the day to the person just ahead of me in the line.   Who do I blame for this? My bad planning for not having bought the tickets more than 3 da...