Skip to main content

Day 34: Carlsbad, New Mexico

The focus of the day was to get to Carlsbad and then ensure I get the Tesla fully charged so that I can make it all the way to El Paso the next day. One of the few days in the road trip when EV range anxiety was top of my mind.  Left my hotel in Childress, Texas and fully charged at the Tesla supercharger there before hitting the highway.

Getting to Carlsbad became easy since the Lubbock supercharger was working. I experienced driving through the flat countryside of north Texas, with not much in the way of towns or even villages.Seeing the few oil rigs in action was the most interesting part of the surrounding scenery.

 

 

 

Reached Carlsbad with 90 miles of range left and getting to El Paso was going to be a 200 mile drive the next day. I had researched on Plugshare that there was a Tesla destination charger at the McDonalds in town. So, after checking into my AirBnb I headed out to McDonalds. Luckily, found the destination charger, it was available and it was working. I plugged in my Tesla and it started charging at 40 miles/hour. What a relief and joy such simple and mundane things can bring!

It was going to be 5 hours for the car to fully charge, so I walked back to the AirBnb, rested a while and then walked around town. The Pecos river waterfront in Carlsbad is a very nice walk. 

When I picked up the fully charged car from the McDonalds, it was already dark. As I was started driving back it started to rain. It really poured hard and I couldn't see a thing on the road. So, pulled over for a few minutes to let it taper down.  

Had a relaxed stay at the AirBnb, comforted by the thought I had enough EV range for tomorrow. I worried a little about the weather, since it was forecast to be cloudy with chance for rain.  

I am also only one timezone away from home, and only one week left in the road trip. It has been an exciting journey, a once in a lifetime experience for me, but I miss home and am looking forward to being back.

The raw numbers for the day:

  • 340 miles driving, 8900 steps walking
  • 2 Tesla supercharger stops, Tesla destination charger at McDonald's, Carlsbad
  • 2 states - Texas, New Mexico  

Next:   Day 35:  Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mountains (Oct 8, 2022)


Comments

  1. आजा वे माहीं तेरा रस्ता उडीकदीयां..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you too! <3 I'm glad the Tesla struggles mostly worked out in the end, apart from the loss of time from servicing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota

A long drive from Bismarck, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota today. The drive was mostly on the I-94 interstate freeway, so it was very smooth, high speed limits and lots of Tesla superchargers along the way. The first three hours of the drive was through heavy rain, which was for the first time during the trip. It was nice to transition from the dry grasslands of North Dakota to the lush green trees and grasses in Minnesota, the land of 10000 lakes.  During the drive, I reflected a bit on all the different places I had been to over the past two weeks. I have enjoyed each day since it brought something different and unique. However, one thing is sure that my favorite days so far have been the ones in the big mountains of Mt. Rainier, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. The imposing mountain ranges, snow capped peaks, the lakes, the waterfalls, the rivers and creeks, the tall trees, the fresh air, all combine to create something magical. I can't get enough of it.  ...

Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park

  A long drive today from Spokane to the West Glacier KOA Resort, which is close to the Glacier National Park entrance. I had to slow down or stop many times during the drive due to road construction underway at multiple places. There was also a traffic jam to deal with at one place. Lastly, I had go past the most direct route for about 15 miles to get to a supercharger in Superior, MT and then retrace back.  I reached my destination for the day, a cute looking KOA log cabin in a beautiful KOA resort surrounded by mountains. The cabin has electricity, heater, refrigerator and a microwave. Not too shabby, changed my perception of what a KOA kampground is like.  The nearest supercharger from Glacier National Park is over 120 miles away. The primary reason I chose to book at KOA is because they provide access to a NEMA 14-50 220V charger. A timeslot for the single outlet they have needs to be  reserved ahead of time. I was very relieved when all of this worked and my...

Day 11: Wind Cave and Mt. Rushmore

  Today was a long drive from Estes Park near Rocky Mountain National park to Custer, South Dakota. On the way, my plan was to stop at Wind Cave National Park and do the guided cave tour. I checked online, but they stop issuing tickets 3 days prior to the actual date, which meant that on reaching the park, I would have to try for the few first-come first-served tickets. Since the tickets sell out about 2 hours before the tour start time, I started from the hotel early at 7am.  On the way, I took a 20 minute detour to drive through Nebraska for a few minutes. It is the first one of the states I have covered so far that I am only touching, just so I can claim I visited all 48 states. I finally reached the Wind Cave National Park at 1:45pm and got into the line for the cave tours. As luck would have it, they sold the last ticket of the day to the person just ahead of me in the line.   Who do I blame for this? My bad planning for not having bought the tickets more than 3 da...