Skip to main content

Day -2: Road trip delayed

 I tested positive for Covid yesterday morning, 3 days before my planned start date for the US road trip. 

I am resting and quarantining right now and will decide on a new start date based on my recovery and how I am doing. The symptoms are not too bad right now. It is a bummer to have this happen, but the silver lining is that I got it before starting the trip and not a few days later.

My feeling is similar to what astronauts might be going through, if their space mission is delayed a few days before launch. Some of these rocket launches are scrubbed just seconds before takeoff.  Must be quite an emotional roller coaster. There is a lot of uncertainty,  how quickly the problems can be fixed and making sure everything is in order for a new launch date. 

I have a number of decisions and tradeoffs to work through over the next few days. I need to have recovered and feel well enough to start the road trip. However, I can't wait too many days because that increases the chances of running into bad weather in the northern states. I also cannot push my return date back very much because of other commitments here at home. One option I am looking into is trimming a few days from the whole itinerary by removing some of the detours to interesting destinations. I might also need to skip some of the hard and strenuous hikes that I had planned. 

This situation also reminds me of my pre-retirement life, managing software development projects and major releases. This is a critical showstopper bug, a few days before the release ship date.  How much will fixing this bug delay the release? How are dependent teams and projects affected? Do I reduce the scope and remove some new features in order to meet the schedule? Do all these changes meet the overall project goals? I guess you can leave work, but the work doesn't leave you :-)

For now, fingers crossed. Resting and quarantining and waiting .....

Next: Day 0: Starting Road Trip Tomorrow (Sept 3, 2022)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota

A long drive from Bismarck, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota today. The drive was mostly on the I-94 interstate freeway, so it was very smooth, high speed limits and lots of Tesla superchargers along the way. The first three hours of the drive was through heavy rain, which was for the first time during the trip. It was nice to transition from the dry grasslands of North Dakota to the lush green trees and grasses in Minnesota, the land of 10000 lakes.  During the drive, I reflected a bit on all the different places I had been to over the past two weeks. I have enjoyed each day since it brought something different and unique. However, one thing is sure that my favorite days so far have been the ones in the big mountains of Mt. Rainier, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. The imposing mountain ranges, snow capped peaks, the lakes, the waterfalls, the rivers and creeks, the tall trees, the fresh air, all combine to create something magical. I can't get enough of it.  ...

Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park

  A long drive today from Spokane to the West Glacier KOA Resort, which is close to the Glacier National Park entrance. I had to slow down or stop many times during the drive due to road construction underway at multiple places. There was also a traffic jam to deal with at one place. Lastly, I had go past the most direct route for about 15 miles to get to a supercharger in Superior, MT and then retrace back.  I reached my destination for the day, a cute looking KOA log cabin in a beautiful KOA resort surrounded by mountains. The cabin has electricity, heater, refrigerator and a microwave. Not too shabby, changed my perception of what a KOA kampground is like.  The nearest supercharger from Glacier National Park is over 120 miles away. The primary reason I chose to book at KOA is because they provide access to a NEMA 14-50 220V charger. A timeslot for the single outlet they have needs to be  reserved ahead of time. I was very relieved when all of this worked and my...

Day 11: Wind Cave and Mt. Rushmore

  Today was a long drive from Estes Park near Rocky Mountain National park to Custer, South Dakota. On the way, my plan was to stop at Wind Cave National Park and do the guided cave tour. I checked online, but they stop issuing tickets 3 days prior to the actual date, which meant that on reaching the park, I would have to try for the few first-come first-served tickets. Since the tickets sell out about 2 hours before the tour start time, I started from the hotel early at 7am.  On the way, I took a 20 minute detour to drive through Nebraska for a few minutes. It is the first one of the states I have covered so far that I am only touching, just so I can claim I visited all 48 states. I finally reached the Wind Cave National Park at 1:45pm and got into the line for the cave tours. As luck would have it, they sold the last ticket of the day to the person just ahead of me in the line.   Who do I blame for this? My bad planning for not having bought the tickets more than 3 da...