Skip to main content

Day 30: New Orleans, The Big Easy


After a quick round of selfies with my friends, I bid farewell in the morning.  Hope to see them in the bay area sometime soon. 

My destination for the day was New Orleans, with a small diversion to Pensacola, Florida. This was going to be the longest driving day of the trip by a big margin. I was going to gain an hour by moving to the Central Time Zone, so I would still be able to reach at a reasonable time in New Orleans.


I really liked the front elevation of their beautiful house, so sharing this picture.

 

 

 

 

 

 

First stop today after a supercharger fill up was in Auburn, Alabama. Met up with my sister's best friend and a good family friend from our hometown, at her office for a quick visit to say hello!


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After this warm and pleasant stop, continued driving towards Pensacola, Florida. This was mostly to touch Florida briefly as a check off. I did not linger too long since it was getting late and I still had many miles to go before New Orleans.

 

 

 

Reached New Orleans around 8pm and checked into my cute AirBnb, which was a few miles from the craziness of the French Quarter. After dinner, drove to Bourbon Street to experience the night life there. It was still packed at this late hour and it was fun to walk in the midst of the boisterous crowds, with loud live music emanating from the bars. 

 

 


 



Returned to my AirBnb, The Okra Inn to relax in their inviting common area for a bit, before a good night's sleep. 

 

 

 The raw numbers for the day:

  • 582 miles driving, 6100 steps walking
  • 3 Tesla supercharger stops
  • 5 states - Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana

Next:   Day 31:  Little Rock, Arkansas (Oct 4, 2022)

Comments

  1. 5 states - Nice! Chetan Bhagat could only manage 2-states.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14: Enjoyed with Friends in Minnesota

A long drive from Bismarck, North Dakota to Minneapolis, Minnesota today. The drive was mostly on the I-94 interstate freeway, so it was very smooth, high speed limits and lots of Tesla superchargers along the way. The first three hours of the drive was through heavy rain, which was for the first time during the trip. It was nice to transition from the dry grasslands of North Dakota to the lush green trees and grasses in Minnesota, the land of 10000 lakes.  During the drive, I reflected a bit on all the different places I had been to over the past two weeks. I have enjoyed each day since it brought something different and unique. However, one thing is sure that my favorite days so far have been the ones in the big mountains of Mt. Rainier, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National Parks. The imposing mountain ranges, snow capped peaks, the lakes, the waterfalls, the rivers and creeks, the tall trees, the fresh air, all combine to create something magical. I can't get enough of it.  ...

Day 5: KOA Cabin in Glacier National Park

  A long drive today from Spokane to the West Glacier KOA Resort, which is close to the Glacier National Park entrance. I had to slow down or stop many times during the drive due to road construction underway at multiple places. There was also a traffic jam to deal with at one place. Lastly, I had go past the most direct route for about 15 miles to get to a supercharger in Superior, MT and then retrace back.  I reached my destination for the day, a cute looking KOA log cabin in a beautiful KOA resort surrounded by mountains. The cabin has electricity, heater, refrigerator and a microwave. Not too shabby, changed my perception of what a KOA kampground is like.  The nearest supercharger from Glacier National Park is over 120 miles away. The primary reason I chose to book at KOA is because they provide access to a NEMA 14-50 220V charger. A timeslot for the single outlet they have needs to be  reserved ahead of time. I was very relieved when all of this worked and my...

Day 11: Wind Cave and Mt. Rushmore

  Today was a long drive from Estes Park near Rocky Mountain National park to Custer, South Dakota. On the way, my plan was to stop at Wind Cave National Park and do the guided cave tour. I checked online, but they stop issuing tickets 3 days prior to the actual date, which meant that on reaching the park, I would have to try for the few first-come first-served tickets. Since the tickets sell out about 2 hours before the tour start time, I started from the hotel early at 7am.  On the way, I took a 20 minute detour to drive through Nebraska for a few minutes. It is the first one of the states I have covered so far that I am only touching, just so I can claim I visited all 48 states. I finally reached the Wind Cave National Park at 1:45pm and got into the line for the cave tours. As luck would have it, they sold the last ticket of the day to the person just ahead of me in the line.   Who do I blame for this? My bad planning for not having bought the tickets more than 3 da...